Thursday, February 25, 2010

Captains Log #7.learning from PAC-MAN


In this weeks reading I was quit interested in the James Gee and his revelations on gaming and the way we interoperate them. I also think his ideas of learning and gender roles played in perfect with the Mr. Bungle article. Our culture is still struggling to see video games or MUDS as potential learning tools and merely brushing them off as a faze of adolescents. Even though the majority of people think of video games in that sense, there is a growing population of people that are willing to accept that it is a growing part of our culture. Some of the events that take place in these games have emotional effects on there users. It tells us that we are in an age where a non-physical world can be superior to our physical realm. The attachment to a certain video game, for some, is stronger than a real time friend. We could however class these people as nerdy gamers who stay up all night drinking Mt.Dew but that’s not the point. The point is that; people are hugely attached to video games not just because of the fighting or gun-play (well, its kind of apart of it) but manly for the ACHIEVMENTS.

Achievements in a game act as a drug for its players. You could say it’s a game, within a game, within a game and so on. Any game would be boring without them. For instance, think of PAC-MAN if you didn’t have to dodge the ghosts or collect the little yellow pellets, you would be bored out of your mind. The appeal to play the game would be diminished after five minutes. Now, think of what you know about the game. I know that if I collect a blue pellet the ghost will turn white and I can kill them, I know that if I want to escape quickly from left to right I can go through the portals on the side, I also know the ghost are bad, the food gives me points and so on. Because I have invested time into that game it becomes second nature. I’ve acquired a new set of rules and mind frame when playing this game. PAC-MAN is a very simple game but a good example non-the less. Now we have entered the age of first person shooters, third person shooters, locative gaming, MUDS and many more. Our mind processed the simple rules and concepts of PAC-MAN just like it will when we play games with more advanced techniques, like Tomb Rader. Sure, when we first start playing the controls seem foreign but because our minds grasp the simple concepts or achievements first, we begin understand the concept. When we are successful we come back because we want t fulfill more achievements in the game and in our minds. We learn things when the game is based on certain events, placed in a certain settings or placed in a certain era. We learn gender roles, sexual identity, physics from racing games, how to aim a gun from war games and even how to manage money from manger games. Anything and everything is a learning opportunity with video games. From learning how to jump, to figuring out a puzzle to get you to the next level, we’re learning in one way or another.

Video games can hit on all of are sensory nerves and not just some. In our day-to-day living we might find it hard to remember test questions for a test or how to type without looking at the keyboard. But then we go home after a long day, turn on a game, look at a screen, guide a character over a wall, talk to a friend, listen to music, and eat food as if it were second nature. We do it effortlessly because we have learned it and we acquired our talent to do so because we go back for more achievements.

Sincerely,

Capt. J. Dangle

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting insight to gaming, including your Gee video. I'm not a gamer at all really. I play sports games sometimes, but really, I'm like the only one of my friends that isn't into gaming really. I bought an Xbox 360 almost 2 years ago, and while I do play it from time to time, I never really got into most of the games. I don't know.

    Nevertheless, I can still see the educational potential and abilities of gaming. I'm not talking about playing educational games either, I'm talking about problem solving skills. It sounds really ridiculous, but games are really virtual puzzles, and by interacting with them, the users solve these puzzles. That, my friend, is how gaming is pretty awesome. I mean, yeah, it may be Call of Duty, or whatever, but to unlock those Achievements, you gotta kind of solve the puzzle, or get the guide.

    Like I said, I'm not much of a gamer, but I'm into sports games. I play Madden like a SOB when I have the time. Sports games may not be as puzzle laden as other games, though there are achievements and "special" things you can do/get, but it really helps teach strategy and helps put the game into perspective, something that used to be left solely to the coaching staff.

    So, basically, yeah, gaming has a lot of potential, and in a lot of ways, already employs a lot of it. Good post my man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have evaluated your blog and comments (where applicable). My comments on this week's assignment can be found at: http://academicsandbox.com/DTC475blog/?p=75

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kinda weird you walked past me like literally the exact second I clicked to open your blog.
    I agree with your points, the achievment aspect seems to be the one thing that all games have in common and when I think about it that is probably the single most important factor as to why Nintendo, Xbox, and Playstation are able to make money selling videogames. I am not a big gamer but I did beat Super Mario World for the SNES and I gotta say when I was a kid that was a pretty big deal to me I felt like I had accomplished something important enough that it was worth my time to brag to my friends about it. In the last 10 years or so I havent really played games a whole lot but watching how much time a couple of my roommates have spent (at least 40 hours a week) playing WOW makes it clear that something is making them come back for more, and as you point out it is probably so they can gain satisfaction from achieving more.

    ReplyDelete